Uniting the general public around these problems
Education is the starting point of commitment and individual responsibility. The Race for Water Foundation aims to mobilize general public and decision makers on the extreme urgency of saving water and our oceans. Therefor we are pursuing our awareness effort toward the importance of water preservation and the vital role of oceans in the circle of life through many actions:
T R A V E L L I N G E X H I B I T I O N
Currently : photo exhibition "Let's preserve our oceans" in Geneva's Quai Wilson.
Through our travelling exhibition, based on many pictures collected during the Odyssey 2015, we show evidence of the magnitude of plastic pollution and its real impact on local communities.
A W A R E N E S S P R O G R A M S
F O R Y O U N G G E N E R A T I O N
Thanks to our educational tools developed by the Foundation, as the pedagogical-kit "Don't be a drip, save water" with Titeuf as super-hero, we encourage younger generations to act in concrete terms to preserve water resources. Our educational program is deployed in Swiss schools throughout the year, and in the rest of the world during the Odyssey, in order to increase our impact of educational action and to raise awareness on a larger scale.
The themes we discuss show the consequences of plastic waste in the oceans, especially on marine environment and plants. These interactions also help students and teachers realize how long it takes for plastics debris to deteriorate, and they encouraging them to get involved in sorting out plastic waste.
Finally, we come up to the famous 4R rules in order to demonstrate the advantages of :
I N T E R N A T I O N A L C O N F E R E N C E S
It is crucial to draw the attention of decision makers in order to make favorable regulations changes for oceans preservation. The Odyssey 2017-2021 bring us where the press echo is powerful in order to impact the large audience participating to international events. All along this expedition, we organize sideline conferences of international meetings to impact a maximum number of people.
A C T I O N P L A N F O R 2 0 1 7 :
T H E O D Y S S E Y O F H O P E
The Race for Water vessel, with its 300m2 of living space, is a pedagogical platform to discuss about the ocean's plastic pollution. She is also a traveling laboratory and a support to promote our solution: a profitable value chain for end-of-life plastic in order to stop leakage into the environment and ultimately in water streams. The Race for Water vessel mission is to carry messages from the Foundation all around the world (the Odyssey blog).
- America's Cup in Bermuda: the Race for Water vessel was present to raise awareness, organizing scientifics workshops, conferences and school visits.
- The Caribbean Sea: The vessel is currently in the Caribbean and still raising awareness and studiing ocean's plastic pollution with scientifics programs.
- Scientific research: In 2017, research teams from the European program JPI Oceans take part in the Odyssey and use the Race for Water platform to carry out two micro-plastics study projects: EPHEMARE and WEATHER-MIC.
- Scientific study: using the data collected during the first Odyssey, and publication will come out at the end of 2017.
D O C U M E N T A R Y
The film "Our Plastic Consciousness" by Peter Charaf, tells the story of the first Race for Water Odyssey. It is currently available and film screenings have been organized in swiss cinemas.
P R E V I O U S O D Y S S E Y 2 0 1 5
- COP 21 with the presence of the solar vessel Race for water, bringing symbolically the ocean to the COP 21. Race for Water Foundation becomes a new member of the Ocean and Climate Platform.
- Universal Expo 2015 in Milan on the theme of “Nourish the planet, energy for life”, with an educational and artistic exhibition on plastic pollution.
- UN Summit in New York in 2015 with a participation to two conferences organized by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) around the issue of plastic waste.
- And many others to come during the Odyssey 2017-2021 with our stopovers in Bermuda for the America’s Cup, in Tokyo for the Olympic Games and in Dubai for the Expo 2017 !